Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Homemade Laundry Soap

Today I made homemade laundry soap. Wait! Don’t let that scare you away yet! It is simple, super cost-efficient, and lasts FOREVER so trust me on this one. It’s worth your time. I stole this recipe from one of my favorite friends and I haven’t regretted it for a moment!
 
Here’s whatcha need:
 
1 box Borax (4 lbs)
1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lbs)
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (55 oz)
3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap (grated)
3.5 lbs Oxy Clean
Purex Laundry Crystals (optional)

Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load.
 
**I found all these ingredients in the laundry aisle at the grocery store (many were on the same shelf).
 


 
Here's whatcha do:

Use a cheese grater or a food processor to grate the Fels-Naptha. I’ve done it both ways with similar results. It is simpler with a cheese grater and then you don’t have to lug out the heavy food processor and take it all apart to clean it. It will look like grated cheese so make sure no little hands try to come snatch some as a snack!
 
Grab a big container (I mean BIG!). I use this metal trash can I found at IKEA when I did my laundry room makeover. It is the perfect size to mix it and store the extra. Dump everything in except the laundry crystals (I usually just add those a load at a time).
 


Then grab the biggest spoon you have and start stirring. You won't have to go to the gym this day because you'll get an arm workout from grating that soap AND stirring everything together. Whew! I bet you feel stronger already.


 
I used the empty Oxy Clean container to store a little at a time so that it’s easier to get on and off the shelf. Not fancy, but simple.
 


So there you have it! This recipe lasts our family about 9 months and cost me around $20 (remember to use 1-2 Tablespoons only per load) . And the best part is that it actually gets our clothes clean without all the fillers found in many brand detergents! And look how cute it would be as a little teacher or shower hostess gift? 
 
 
Now who's ready for a laundry soap making party??? :)
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Pick me!! Me!! Me!!! Then come help me organize my laundry area!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would LOVE to try this!!!! :) - and love reading your new blog friend!!! XOXO Courtney A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it have scent in it? I would love to try this, but Rob is allergic to synthetic scents

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so cute Michelle and I like reading your blog. :). I'd love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, only the laundry crystals have scent (which are optional). I add the crystals in with each load instead of mixing them with them whole batch. The sample does NOT have the laundry crystals for that very reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Michelle! I make this too but I usually do the liquid version- great idea ;).

    ReplyDelete