Thursday, October 2, 2014

3 Frugal Ways I Updated My Fall Decor

I love my fall decorations. But even a quick trip to Hobby Lobby at this time of the year to get something totally NOT related to fall can get me itching to spend money on new fall decor. I don't need it. But oh, how I want it! 

So this year I found a few quick, easy, inexpensive ways to update my current fall decorations without spending a fortune. And I think it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself. :)

1. Use extra ribbon or fabric to update "old" things.

I worked at Bath & Body Works in college and I totally took advantage of the employee discount to stock up on seasonal goodies. I've had this jack-o-lantern tin for 5, 10, ok...nearly 15 years. Please stop doing the math. Each year I think I am tired of it and am going to get rid of it. But this year I decided to update it instead. So I used some leftover fabric to wrap up a plain candle and placed it inside. I love the way it turned out!! Now it sits in the children's bathroom and they love it too!! 

Here's another example: Brad received this candle as a gift a few years back. I'm not a big brown fan. I'm just not. But this year I pulled out some leftover fall ribbon to tie around it and now I love this candle!! 


2. Change out the photographs in your frames to fall pictures. 

I actually started this tradition last year. I have some great photographs of my little ones but I don't do anything with them except put them in photo albums. I don't really have any true photography talent...I just take a LOT of pictures and I usually luck into a few good ones! So I started changing out my photos to my favorite seasonal ones and placing them throughout the house. (Keeping it real moment: these are all pictures from last year because I'm usually about a year behind on developing pictures. I know. I'm a slacker in that area.) But if you use the ones from the previous year you don't have to worry about rushing around to get good current fall pics! So really, I'm just being super efficient, right?!? 




I love this cute chalkboard sign. I use it ALL the time. It's not technically a frame, but I use it to display pictures sometimes. Right now it hangs on the inside of our front door. :)

3. Move your decorations around. 

This one was a little harder for me. I like predictability. I like knowing where I'm going to put everything. But sometimes, just sometimes, it's refreshing to change things up a bit. So this year I switched a few of my fall decorations to different places in the house and I like it. Nothing drastic but just enough to keep things interesting for this Simple Mama. 

Originally, I had these mini pumpkins on our coffee table. I moved them up to the mantle the other day so some sweet Littles could have room to play. I liked the way they looked so much that I just kept them up there!

I would love to hear other ideas on how you update your fall decor too!!

And speaking of fall...I know you want to know who won the Fall Give-Away from Tracy's Crochet Store!! And the winner is:

Desaree!!!

Congratulations!! I will contact you about your adorable new custom hat!! And if you didn't win, don't be sad. Check out Tracy's shop on Amazon. There's still plenty of time for you to order your very own fabulousness before those colder temps settle in for good. :)

1 comment: