Sunday, October 19, 2014

Forgiveness

Tonight I had to seek forgiveness...from my 5 year old. Yes, she was throwing a fit because she was over tired from our fun, but busy weekend. Yes, she was being disobedient when I had to ask her multiple times to get ready for bed. And yes, I had had it up to here and I let her know about it. The thing is, I was mad about something else. And it was just easier to take my frustrations out on her.

I attempted to make myself feel better by threatening to take away some of her favorite activities if she didn't get it together. And I rushed through the bedtime story without a single snuggle or bedtime prayer. Didn't she see that I was mad and needed her to go to bed so I could stew in my anger without interruptions?

As I turned out her lights and hurriedly began to walk out of her room I heard this voice very clearly say, "Stop. Seek forgiveness."  And it was the voice of the Father. And I obeyed. 

I walked back to her bed and told her that it was wrong of me to be cross with her. And I needed her forgiveness. Those words had barely left my lips when she burst into tears and melted in my arms. And she forgave me. 

Tonight I was humbled by my 5 year old. And it was a good thing. 

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. (Matthew 6:14 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment