Tuesday, September 29, 2015

All the Bad Words Come from Charlie Brown

We had an interesting conversation in the car on the way to school today. Channing started talking about bad words. She had heard something on the playground from a friend who knew "all the bad words." (Gotta love playground chatter right?!?) And she had questions about that. That's when Chaz piped up and said, "All the bad words come from Charlie Brown." Oh sweet boy, if only that were true.


You see, that's the extent of their knowledge of 'bad words.' From Charlie Brown. Now don't get me wrong. We love us some Charlie Brown at this time of the year. It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. (Yes please!). A Charlie Brown Christmas. (Yes please again!) AND let's not forget about the new Charlie Brown movie coming out soon. (We've already got our movie gift cards stashed away for that one.) BUT after seeing those movies we had to have the discussion about using the s-word (stupid) and the b-word (blockhead).

So when my kids think of bad words, that's what they think of. I love their innocence in that and know that sadly, that innocence will be lost one day.

But even as their knowledge of the things of this world grows, I pray that their desire to be set apart from it grows also. 

One of my favorite youth ministers in high school loved to speak this verse over us. I don't think I truly understood the implications of it until I became a mother. 

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12:2 NIV

I pray this for my little ones. That they will stand out. That they will choose Jesus over the world. That they will be brave in their choices. That they will continually run after what the Lord has for them: things that are pure and holy. And that the 'bad words' would be easy to forget. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment