Thursday, July 21, 2016

Glen Rose, TX

One of the things on our Summer Bucket List was to visit Fossil Rim and Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, TX. This little town is about 2 hours from our house, but well worth the drive. And we got into Fossil Rim for half price because we were gifted a membership to the Dallas Zoo! #winning

Fossil Rim is a drive-through wildlife park where you can feed the animals right from your car. It's an adventure every family needs to do at least once! We got up extra early to make the trek to Fossil Rim in order to be there right when it opened. I would totally do it like this every time. The animals were out and about because it wasn't too hot and it wasn't crowded at all!

Check out our favorite memories from the day!


 
 
These silly giraffes were literally standing on the road blocking our way. They were snacking on the trees and didn't really want anything to do with our food (I kinda don't blame them!). So the best pics we could get were selfies from the moon roof. I'm not gonna lie...it was my favorite part of the whole adventure!! #giraffeselfies
 


 
I was obsessed with these gorgeous deer. Look at their antlers!!!
Random thought: How do their petite little heads hold those big antlers up anyways? I'm pretty sure I would just keep tipping forward straight on my face if I were a deer. #antlerprobs

 

 

And because my hometown mascot was a buffalo you know I forced everyone to take a picture with me and the buffalo. #gobuffs


After our fun morning at Fossil Rim, we drove a few miles up the road to Dinosaur Valley State Park. There's a place called Dinosaur World at the entrance but we bypassed that (and the hefty entrance fee) and headed straight to the state park. Kids 12 and under are free and adults are only $7. We almost skipped this altogether but I am sooooo glad we didn't. We could've easily spent all day here hiking, swimming, picnicking, and scoping out dinosaur tracks!
 
I was super prepared when it came to the kids, but for some reason I didn't even think to pack swimsuits for Brad and me. Sigh. So, fording the river to see the dinosaur tracks was a little tricky because Brad and I were trying to stay dry for the long drive home (plus he had all our valuables in his pocket). And I'm pretty sure he thought I was totally crazy at one point for even being that brave. See: here I am apologizing to Brad for getting us in this predicament...and encouraging us to just keep going because surely we were almost there! Love you, honey.
 
 
The water was moving pretty fast and the kids wanted to move even faster. It was scary at moments, but so fun! I felt like an adventurous woman who was seizing the day...which is usually the opposite of how I behave. I was a wild woman. Wild and free. And I liked it.
 
Track Site #2 had the most visible dinosaur tracks...just across that flowing river. Gulp. But we made it and it was worth it. Those water holes we are standing in are some of the tracks.
 

 
And here's the smaller tracks compared to our kiddos' feet. This one had just been uncovered that week!

 
Then we hiked a little. I love these two. They are best friends (except when they aren't, but they usually are). :)
 
Lastly, we went over to the Blue Hole and went swimming...in much calmer waters. Note to self: also bring water shoes because the pebbly bottom was a little painful to walk on.
 



And just before they fell asleep on the car ride home they said, "Today was awesome, mom." And that's when you know it's been a great day. #summerforever

No comments:

Post a Comment