Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Social Break

Old habits die hard. And I have gotten into the worst habit.

Each morning my alarm goes off. I take care of some morning necessities, pour my coffee, grab my phone and hop on Facebook to see what has transpired since I last checked...a mere 8 hours ago.

This habit seems harmless enough. In fact, this is how many people share what it going on in their lives, and I love to know what is going on with my people.

But I started noticing a trend. My morning Facebook time turned into more than a quick glance. I found that I kept coming back frequently throughout the day. And the longer I was on Facebook, the more my mood was affected (and not in a good way).

So I grounded myself from Facebook.

I just knew that it was causing a problem and I needed a social break. I was so enthralled in finding out what was happening in everyone else's lives that I wasn't enjoying my own.

That first day was hard. My finger kept hovering over that blue icon with the white F that was taunting me with it's little red number notifications growing steadily higher throughout the day. But I stood my ground. And resisted.

I didn't give myself a specific grounding time limit, but after a few days I began to forget about Facebook land.  And by day number 3 or 4...it was a lot easier.

My social break is over now. I really didn't even need a long break. Just a break. And sometimes it's good to be silent (something I am working on this year).

So if I missed your birthday, adorable pictures of your baby, your exciting new house news, or your best selfie ever...just remember that I still love you...even if I didn't "like" your post. And I'll remember the same if you take a social break too.



Facebook and I will probably need a break from each other again at some point, but you can usually find me over on Instagram because it's a lot cheerier over there. Am I right, IG peeps?!? Give me all the happy pictures and inspirational quotes! :)

XOXO,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment