Thursday, May 7, 2015

When the Lord Used Facebook to Speak to Me

About a month ago I was searching for a particular scripture. I tried to find it on my own and I even enlisted the help of someone who is knowledgable in the scriptures. She directed me to several different passages but none of them appeared to be what I was looking for at the time. So I prayed that the Lord would help me find it. Then I forgot about it. 

Yesterday, while scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, a dear friend posted the very scripture that I had been looking for a month ago! I couldn't believe it! And what's even more spectacular is that it was a scripture that I had been directed to when I first began the search...but for some reason it didn't stand out to me the first time I read it. 

Confession time. Do you want to know the reason I was on the hunt for that scripture to begin with? It's ugly. Are you ready for it? The reason I was on the hunt for that scripture was to use it to validate my hurt feelings towards something someone else had done. Told you. Ugly. 

Looking back I can totally see why the Lord hid himself from me that day. And I never even realized the ugliness in my motivation for searching his Word.

Ouch.  

This experience brought a different passage of scripture to mind. And believe me, the Lord showed himself quite clearly on this one. Lesson learned, Father. Lesson learned. 

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:1-5 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment